Covered CA – Proof of Citizenship or Lawful Presence

Covered CA yesterday sent a press release detailing their efforts to confirm eligibility for 98,000 enrollees.  We have worked with our clients to try to ensure that proper documentation was submitted.  However, we feel it is imperative for everyone to confirm that Covered CA has verified submitted documentation.  Therefore, if you were asked to submit proof of citizenship or lawful presence, we urge you to contact Covered CA to make sure your documentation was accepted and verified.  To do this, call Covered California at (800) 300-1506.  Be aware that hold times are increasing the closer we get to Open Enrollment, so be prepared to be on hold for up to 45 minutes.  Also, we recommend that you call early in the day before the phone lines get busier.  Lastly, watch your mail for correspondence from Covered CA.  

Even if you believe you successfully submitted documentation, Covered CA may need more information and if they do, they’ll be sending you a letter.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Media Line: (916) 205-8403
Sept. 4, 2014


Agents, Counselors and Community Organizations Will Help Educate Enrollees That Citizenship and Immigration Documents
Must Be Submitted, or the Consumers Risk Losing Coverage

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Covered California is contacting about 98,000 families that must resolve eligibility inconsistencies in their 2014 enrollment documents.

The consumers will need to submit documents showing they are lawfully present in the United States as U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals or individuals with eligible immigration status, in order to continue their health insurance through Covered California. Notices are being mailed and emailed to consumers beginning this week. If proper proof is not provided by Sept. 30, 2014, these individuals risk termination of health coverage.

“We want to clear these inconsistencies so that our consumers can have a smoother renewal process without any interruption in their coverage,” said Covered California Executive Director Peter V. Lee. “We’re implementing a multi-touch, multi-channel outreach approach to notify individuals who risk losing coverage.”

Covered California has been working to clear inconsistencies. To date, more than 700,000 documents have been verified and processed.

Documents submitted by consumers will be treated confidentially and will be used only to determine the consumers’ eligibility for health insurance programs and will not be used for immigration enforcement.

Lee said some consumers may have previously provided Covered California the required documents, but the agency could not reconcile the information to verify citizenship or immigration status. For example, some documents were illegible, and in some cases two pieces of proof were needed, but only one document was sent, so the agency is requesting the documents be sent again.


The notices will provide consumers with a list of documents they can send to prove their lawful presence. The notices will be delivered in English and Spanish, and help is also available in other languages.

Consumers also will be instructed on how to upload the documents to their account, send them via U.S. mail or fax them to (888) 329-3700. Additionally, thousands of partners, including Covered California Certified Insurance Agents, Certified Enrollment Counselors, Service Center representatives and county eligibility workers, will be available to help consumers submit the necessary documentation.

Lee stressed that consumers should act quickly to submit the requested documents.

“If we do not get your documents, Covered California must cancel your health insurance, along with any federal tax credit you may be receiving that lowers your monthly premiums,” Lee said. “If you have received tax credits, and your health insurance is canceled, you may have to repay those tax credits. If your health insurance is canceled, you may also have to pay a tax penalty.”

Qualifying documents that prove lawful presence include a U.S. passport; a certificate of naturalization (N-550/N-570); a certificate of citizenship (N-560/N-561); a U.S. public birth certificate; a driver’s license issued by a U.S. state or territory; an identification card issued by the federal, state or local government; a school identification card; a foreign passport; and a green card. A complete list will be offered at